Flies are two-winged insects that typically have short bodies and are associated with decomposing things. Some types of flies are the common house fly, flesh fly, horsefly, and the black fly. Dragonflies, mayflies, and fireflies do not fit in this category. Flies do not bite or sting like some other insects do, but they can spread disease and are really annoying to have flying around trying to eat your food all the time. A female housefly can lay up to 600 eggs in their short lifetime, so it’s best to get rid of them quickly. Since flies live such short lifespans, if you see one buzzing around your house, you’ll most likely find it dead somewhere in your house, and that can attract more insects and rodents into your home. You can use many different methods to prevent flies from invading your home. Sanitation is critical - this removes or prevents any medium where fly larvae will develop. It's also important to remove things that are attractive to adult flies such as garbage and waste. Good drainage is important in prevention as well, since moisture is an important factor for breeding.
- Keep garbage cans and dumpsters clean.
- Repair window screens and doors. Openings to buildings should be tightly screened with mesh screens. Where doors must be kept open for customers, trucks, etc., outfit the doors with air curtains. Air curtains can prevent fly entry if the velocity is 1,600 feet per minute or higher.
- Pick up pet waste in the yard. Flies love to breed and lay eggs on this material because of the moisture content.
- In home kitchens, restaurants and commercial kitchens, drain flies can become a problem. It’s important to keep the drains clean.
- Contact us for more information on that.
- Dead animals can increase a fly problem. Remove the carcasses, because flies lay eggs on decomposing rodents and fowl. The eggs become maggots (larvae) and the maggots become adult flies.
- Do not over water indoor potted plants. The wet soil will provide a perfect breeding area for gnats. Keep the pots well drained.
- Keep outdoor areas clean. Clean up any decaying plants or other matter.
For more information, contact us!